Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A New Adventure

It has been with mixed emotion today that I started to let people know that I am leaving my current employer for a new recruiting leadership opportunity with another company, starting in November. It was going to take something truly great to take me away from a company and boss that I have the ultimate respect for. A fantastic opportunity that would take me from co-workers and a work environment that I have grown to love. A logical next step in my career that's just not available with my current employer.

I was provided that opportunity with an offer last Friday. This new role is with a national, fast growing firm where I will have leadership responsibility for experienced recruiting strategy as it relates to issues such as branding, technology, process, vendor relations, metrics, etc. My current job is split pretty evenly between strategic and tactical recruiting. The new job is 100% strategic, which is something that I was truly looking for if I was going to make a career move. In addition, my commute will be cut in half, and I'll have telecommuting opportunities on top of that. So as tough as it was to leave a good and comfortable situation in my current job, this new opportunity was just too good to pass up.

Now that I'll be in a strategic leadership role, "...from the trenches" probably doesn't make much sense as a Blog name going forward. So I'll have to think about something more appropriate, any suggestions? Heck, if Heather could do it, so can I, and she'd be happier with out the 'War For Talent' reference anyway :) (Although I still believe there is a 'War For Talent')

The one downside to all of this is that I've just made my current boss's life much more difficult. We were already trying to hire a Senior Recruiter and a Sourcer, and now he has to replace me too. It's my mission to do what I can over the next three weeks to find my successor. I posted the job today over on ERE and we are both hitting our networks hard to find the next great Recruiter to work for this truly great and unique organization. The problem is that everyone we ask is looking to hire a Recruiter for their own team. It is truly a great time to be a Recruiter in the DC Area! So be sure to check out the job posting, and if you are interested, please let me know (local candidates preferred please).

Over the next three weeks, I'll talk a little more about this transition, how I was identified for this role, and what the future may hold for me, and this blog. Who knows, maybe I might be able to convince my new employer to start up a Corporate Recruiting Blog (or something Blog-like). I have a few good ideas around this already. The new adventure begins!

ADDENDUM TO THE DISCLAIMER: As with my current employer, I will not refer directly to my new employer by name on this blog.

4 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Ben. I look forward to hearing about your experiences in your new role.

As for blog names, why would you need to change it? Not that I'm married to your war metaphor (hee!).I took the reference to be more about the state of the industry than anything else (guess I'm not that much of a "literal" kind if gal).

Obscure but somewhat relevant movie references work for me : )

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Ben. I'd be very curious to know where you're landing... You know how to reach me. :D

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Dennis Smith said...

Way to go, Ben!

I like the name, but, as creative as you are, I know you'll come up with something cool.

Look forward to hearing more about the new role!

Dennis

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Ben said...

The reason I am thinking about the blog name change is that I will not literally have the view "from the trenches" in my new role. My view will be more from the 10,000 foot-level.

Thanks for everyone's kind words. Dennis in particular mentioned my creativity. You ain't seen nothing yet! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home