Friday, September 14, 2007

SourceCon Wrapup

When I left you last, the Grand Master Sourcing Challenge was in full swing. It was a great competition for those involved, but only one, the great Michael Nataro, would come out on top. Michael's only been a dedicated sourcer for a short time, but he certainly has a great future ahead of him. Congrats again to Michael.

A nice outdoor reception carried on to a Charity Poker Game that would last into the night. The game, which raised $1900 the Positive Outlook Foundation, was great fun, and all for a good cause. I played some great hands, but was knocked out by the eventual winner, Jeremy Langhans (who seems to win at just about everything BTW). It turned into a late night, but the continuous networking and collaborating made it all worthwhile.

A very groggy Thursday got off to a rousing start with a energetic and entertaining presentation by Danny Cahill. I had heard of Danny before, but had never heard him speak. If you ever get the chance, don't pass it up, he is fantastic. Why? More than being entertaining, he's real, he's honest, and in most cases, he's dead-on right. Treat your prospects and candidates right, with respect and honesty, and you can't lose.

The day continued with mind-blowing presentations by Shally and Eric Jaquith. I love listening to these guys as I always get some great takeaways. They are truly two of the best around.

Marc, Constance and Denny from ExecuQuest followed with The Anatomy of a Successful Sourcing Organization, once again a highly relevant, and very informative subject relating to my mission in attending SourceCon.

Amybeth Hale (congrats on her new role!) educated us next with what the value of a Researcher is. Amybeth has been leading the charge to gain more respect for this very valuable niche specialty, and once again did a fantastic job.

I only got to see about half of Dave Copps' presentation, as I had to head off to catch my flight home (which ended up being delayed 2 hours, grrr). Dave is attempting to change the world of online search, can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

In reflection, I'm amazed just how well this conference went. For a first-time conference, it went off for the most part without a hitch. I got what I hoped to get out of it, and more. Great content, great learning, great networking and collaboration. Big thanks to Leslie O'Connor for having the vision, energy and passion to see this through. I hope to make it again next year!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Amybeth said...

Ben, it was my absolute pleasure to meet you and finally put a face with the name :) I've been a fan of yours for several months now and I appreciate your kind words. I too agree that this was a fantastic conference and I am already excited in anticipation for next year. Next time I am in DC or you are in the 'Nati, let's plan to swap more thoughts!

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT to meet you Ben, you are Rad.

sourceon was AWESOME!
sourceon was AWESOME!
sourceon was AWESOME!
sourceon was AWESOME!

Jer

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Amybeth - Thank YOU for your kind words, I've been a big fan of yours as well. Best of luck in the new role at W.E.!

Jer - Rad, huh? So '80s ;-) Can't wait to connect again, especially over Hold 'Em. You won't get so lucky next time!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger The Edge said...

For everyone's information, Jer has only been winning since (a) he walked down the aisle and (b) decided to adopt a healthier lifestyle (right Jer?) - it's the perfect confluence of the mind-body connection.

Ben, if you can, find a copy of Ken Cole's "The Executive Search Research Directory" (www.rsronline.com) which has been published since 1980' researchers have been part of our industry for decades and have been highly successful with and without use of Al Gore's digital child.

When you come to NYC, please give me a call...

Steve

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Steve - Thanks for the tip, and I'm fully aware of how long research has been a part of recruiting. My first job in recruiting (1994) was a researcher at a DC-area exec search firm. I'd spend countless hours at the Library of Congress mining the corporate directories there.

The difference now isn't so much the internet, but that companies are either bringing this expertise in-house or are buying it from vendors to work in-house, rather than relying on third-parties almost exclusively like in the old days. This is a major shift, and a trend that is gathering more momentum day-by-day.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Jim Stroud said...

Gotkin for President!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Jim - President huh? Not likely. You sir however are the MC Master! I don't think I've ever been to a conference (and I've been to many) that was lead by someone with so much enthusiasm and energy. It made a huge impact on the conferene for sure, you are to be commended, and I certainly hope, named as the SourceCon '08 MC too.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben,

Like everybody else, I too have become your fan ;-)

Great swapping thoughts and making a new friend.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Jer said...

want a rematch in march? ;)

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Rosemary said...

Niice blog you have

 

Post a Comment

<< Home