Thursday, August 23, 2007

Jobster = Spamster?

It pains me to write this today, but I'm compelled due to the numerous canned e-mails that I have received over the past few months from Jobster. Those of you who have read this blog for a while know that I was an early adopter, I was on their short-lived Customer Advisory Board, I know Jason Goldberg and several other current and former Jobster employees and like them all. You also know that I've been perplexed by their actions over the past year, particularly around their shifting product line/strategy, not to mention the mass layoffs at the start of this year.

When changed employers, I wasn't a Jobster client any longer, and still do not believe that Jobster is the right tool for my company at this time. I've kept my Jobster profile up though and for a while would get periodic requests to join my network or to become a contact. That was all well and good and fit with their social networking model (and my interest in social networking). Lately though, I don't seem to get those any more. In fact, over the past 2-3 months, the only emails I have received from Jobster have either been invitations to participate in one of their webinars (I was getting an invitation a week, but chose not to participate, primarily due to schedule conflicts), or 'Notes' on my profile from Jason.

Now when I get one of these 'You have a Note' emails, I have to click on the link, login each time (it won't keep me logged in for some reason) to read it. Not sure why it just can't show me the 'Note' in the email, which would save alot of time and clicks. I've received four of these over the last 7 weeks. Each of these emails were blast marketing emails, nothing personal about it. Even though I've known Jason for 2 1/2 years now. Oh, and the 'Note' I received before the ones from Jason, was from 'Jessica' that was another blast marketing piece.

So I'm turning off the ability to leave Notes for me on Jobster. I'm a bit sad about that. I was really hot on Jobster there for a while, and to this day, still believe that their core product had potential. But times have changed, so has Jobster, so have I. No more 'Notes' from Jason Goldberg, of course unless he'd like to send me a personal email just to say hi.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ben!

So, here's the deal. We get a TON of positive feedback from users saying they love our "tips" notes. We send them every two weeks and the user feedback is overwhelmingly positive. Sorry you don't like them. You can always change your settings.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Jason - Great news about the feedback, my issue is as much about how the message is delivered than the message itself. Deliver the tip notes in the email itself, or take me directly to the tip notes without having to login in each time.

I have changed my settings though. Continued best of luck with this and I look forward to seeing you in DC at ERE in a few weeks.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an account on Jobster. I hated getting these emails so I closed my account. The worst thing is that I still receive these emails. I once tried to login to see what it said, but I couldn't because my account was closed and I didn't want to re-open it.

Apparently I can run, but I can't hide.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben- I agree with your bewilderment at the radical change of Jobster. About a year ago, I sat as a customer with their head product manager, Neal something. Not only was he a founder, he was also extremely in-tune with my needs and had a good story about how Jobster was building their software to fit them. I wonder what Neal has to say now that none of what he showed me has really come true?

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Anonymous - If it's the Neil I'm thinking of (Googled him and looks like the person you described), he's no longer with Jobster. He left back in March, so he probably has alot he'd like to say...

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder if JG would still say they are "just getting started" ?! honestly, in my opinion, they haven't lived up to the hype -- yet. hopefully that changes, but i am very doubtful.

worst case scenario = all the good people have left & now they are just a washed up spamming machine . hope that's not the case /sigh

Jer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home