Sunday, February 25, 2007

NRT: Actually, Nothin' Fina' Than Beatin' Carolina!

OK, a couple weeks ago, I wrote that there was nothing finer than beating Duke. But there really is nothing fina' than beatin' Carolina, as the Terps did tonight 89-87. And how sweet it was. Being down big early and then again midway through the second half, the revitalized Men's Terps basketball team continued it's great stretch run at the Comcast Center.
I was sweating this one out earlier today as we got a good 4-5 inches of snow dumped on us. I was determined not to miss this one though, so as soon as the snow let up, I shoveled out the driveway and hit the road to College Park.

At the game, my five year old son asked me, what was louder Cole Field House or Comcast Center? I've heard that question many times and overall, it's been hard to argue that Comcast was a louder arena. Tonight though, it was as loud as Cole ever was. I've disliked Duke basketball for the past 20 years or so, but I've really disliked UNC basketball for as long as I can remember. The Duke rivalry has been more intense over the past few years, but tonight's win was as big of a win that they have had at Comcast, and probably the biggest since winning the ACC Tourney in 2004.

The Terps are back baby. I, among many, was a doubter of this team a few weeks ago. They were 3-6 in the conference and another NIT tourney was looming. Tonight's win pretty much locks up a NCAA bid, their first in three years. Spurred by consistent, solid performances by DJ Strawberry, Greivis Vasquez and James Gist, the Terps are playing their best ball right now. Here's to hoping they can keep this going as they visit Cameron Indoor for the Duke rematch on Wednesday, and beyond deep into March.

FEAR THE TURTLE!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home