Thursday, July 19, 2007

400 Connections

Time goes on and my LinkedIn network continues to grow. I just hit 400 direct connections this week, adding one of the organizers of SourceCon (which I plan to attend), and who also happens to be local here in the DC area.

So as of today, in addition to my 400 direct connections, I have 77.7K 2nd Degree connections and 2.6M+ 3rd Degree connections. Although I have expanded the diversity of my network some through some recent proactive initiatives (see here and here), I clearly haven't done enough as my 3rd Degree connection numbers continue to grow slowly.

My motivations with LinkedIn continue to be primarily exploratory and collaborative in nature. But even more than that, I continue to preach the value of LinkedIn to our recruiters, attempting to educate them as to why they need to be power-users of this great social networking business tool.

In the past, I have discussed my feelings around the integrity of one's social network, and why Open Networking wasn't a strategy I subscribed to. With that in mind, I went ahead and analyzed my network to see who I really 'know', defining 'know' as someone who I had met in person, sent an e-mail to, spoken to on the phone, or had any relevant connection with prior to connecting with them on LinkedIn, and anyone who I have connected with outside of LinkedIn since we connected networks.. My analysis revealed that I 'knew' about 70% of my direct connections, not bad IMO. I'm still looking to connect with those who I 'know', but also those who feel there may be a mutually-beneficial reason for connection. If we haven't connected already, let's connect today!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got 1912 in my 1st degree now!

here's my linkedin info:

You are at the center of your network. Your connections can introduce you to 5,019,900+ professionals — here’s how your network breaks down:
Your Connections
Your trusted friends and colleagues 1,912
Two degrees away
Friends of friends; each connected to one of your connections 415,300+
Three degrees away
Reach these users through a friend and one of their friends 4,602,700+
Total users you can contact through an Introduction
Your network also includes 600+ Forbes.com Entrepreneurs members. 5,019,900+

30,955 new people in your network since July 21

~jer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home