Thursday, October 11, 2007

Welcome to DC ERE!

I'm so excited! We are a week away from my favorite recruiting conference in my home town! I'd like to offer a heartfelt DC welcome to David Manaster, ERE and the hundreds of recruiting professionals and vendors attending this week's ERE Expo. This most certainly will be an exciting event, chock full of thought leaders, cool technology, energetic speakers, and more.

Hopefully you will get the opportunity to look around DC while you are here. Last year, I put together a local guide for those coming into town for the 2006 SHRM convention. Check it out for suggestions on museums, monuments, restaurants and more. Honestly though, this is the best time to be in DC. The summer months are hot, humid (actually, it still was up until earlier this week!) and mobbed with tourists. Complete with torrential downpours, the SHRM conference experienced all of that. Fall in DC is my favorite. The leaves are turning, the weather is cooler, and tourist season is over. A hotel room overlooking Rock Creek Park should offer a stunning view. The historic Wardman Park Marriott is also in a great part of town.

Looking for great restaurants? DC has one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country right now. Adams Morgan is chock full of great ethnic restaurants and is only a short walk away. Cleveland Park is a long walk/short Metro ride away and offers a number of great restaurants including one my favorites, Palena. Others restaurants that I did not list last year include:

- 2 Amys (great pizza)

- Cafe Atlantico/Minibar (a culinary adventure)

- Citronelle and City Zen (got a REALLY big expense account?)

- Kinkead's (best Seafood in DC)

- Sushi-Ko (not a sushi fan myself, but this is supposed to be the best.

- Vidalia (DC is a southern town at heart you know...)

Looking to explore on foot? Within a short (or long) walk, you have the National Zoo (free of course), Rock Creek Park, and the National Cathedral. Or, take a short cab ride to Georgetown. Take the Metro to the Smithsonian Museums (BTW, the American History Museum is closed for renovations), The Mall and the Monuments. In fact, one Monument that I didn't mention last year was the FDR Memorial. This stunning Memorial is a short walk from The Mall by the Tidal Basin. I was back there for the first time in years and forgot how beautiful it was, unlike any other Monument in DC. Oh, and if you can, check out the Monuments at night, truly the best way to see them.

I love DC. My Grandfather, my Father and I were all born within it's city limits. I'm proud to call DC home with all it has to offer. So enjoy the ERE Expo for sure, but also be sure take some time while you are here to see what DC can offer you. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

3 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll be at the hotel tues night thru sat morn .... attending gerrys workshop on wed & then the full conf on thurs/fri. when do you wanna hookup? the whole show...ok, sounds good :P

ps. i'm gonna win at poker. again.

Jer

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger David Manaster said...

I'm excited to be coming!

 
At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Tour Guide - I printed it and am bringing it with me!

Maureen Sharib

 

Post a Comment

<< Home