Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Confession of a Corporate Recruiting Blogger - I'm In A Rut

I'm not sure what to write about anymore. I've had this blog up-and-running for several months now, and have enjoyed expressing myself, and hopefully enlightening and/or educating some people here. I've written alot about current trends, my job change, recruiting technology, job reqs, job boards, and of course, my beloved Terps. But now, I'm in a rut.

There is alot I've thought about writing about, but I get cold feet worrying about whether I'm tipping off our competition to our strategy or not. I worry about writing about my colleagues because I'm still relatively new here, and I'm not sure if they would appreciate that or now. Heck, I'm sitting at the airport writing this, ready to head off to a corporate recruiting conference outside of Chicago (delayed an hour, grrrr), and I thought about writing about that, but again, I'm cautious, maybe too cautious.

This is the tough thing about blogging, keeping it going, even when you have writer's block, are stuck in a rut, or are just too busy with work and other things to keep it up. Ah, I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point. Until then, off to Chicago where we are convening our firm's first ever recruiter's conference. We have three solid days planned, offering educational and collaborative opportunities galore. Maybe I'll write more about this event at the end of the week, maybe not. I've got to figure out that comfort-level first. Any tips on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated of course.

5 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ben, been there done that. Actually quite literally. I used to live in MD and worked in VA, inside the beltway for a 'bandit.' Didn't do recruiting, I was the 'guy in charge.'

I know how you feel about writing posts on your blog...sometimes I get stuck myself. I'd suggest that you carry a little flip notebook and jot down things that you observe or think about. You are sure to come up with millions of ideas that will turn into blog posts.

My other suggestion would be start another blog, like I did. Now I have two of the monsters to feed. :-)

You can check them out at http://www.cecsearch.com/WordPress [executive recruiters blog] and http://www.recruiting-usa.com [web services for recruiters].

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with what Carl said. Also, when I have trouble with content, I think back to an exercise I did early in th elife of my blog. I thought about who my target readers would be (I actually really gace thiws a lot of thought...scary). Are you blogging for other recruiters or for people in the industry you support? Are you blogging for active job seekers or people that may want to work for your company in the future?

I know it sounds kind of fundamental, but if you document this, you can go back to it and think about what your target(s) want(s) to hear about.

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you more detail on how I segmented my readers...if you are interested. It might help.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Carl - Good idea about the notebook. I have done similar things by writing ideas down while I'm on an airplane, I need to start doing that again. I'm not sure that I could handle another blog though right now. I had a non-recruiting blog before I started this one, but realized quickly that I couldn't keep up two.

Heather - Good question about who I'm blogging for. Mostly other recruiters I guess. The dream is still to do a blog for the firm directed to job seekers, but we aren't quite there yet. That would certianly open up a world of new blog post opportunities. Most of all though, I think I've been blogging about whatever has come to mind. I'll be sure to touch base with you again soon.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ben! I can relate, my friend. Which is why I changed the focus of my blog last year and began posting with the job-seeker in mind (my true target audience), and then to those who have an interest in "wireless" stuff in general.

As a result, I find that I'm not nearly as engaged in the "recruiting blogging community" (which I really miss), but I'm more plugged in to what's going on in the world (and blogs) of those within the wireless space - and I love it.

Glad you posted this article - I appreciate your genuineness.

Dennis

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Dennis Smith said...

Hey Ben! I can relate, my friend. Which is why I changed the focus of my blog last year and began posting with the job-seeker in mind (my true target audience), and then to those who have an interest in "wireless" stuff in general.

As a result, I find that I'm not nearly as engaged in the "recruiting blogging community" (which I really miss), but I'm more plugged in to what's going on in the world (and blogs) of those within the wireless space - and I love it.

Glad you posted this article - I appreciate your genuineness.

Dennis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home